The whole point of Awake-A-Thon is to stay up all night and sleep on the car ride home. This idea is all well and good while the members, but what about the advisors who have to stay up all night and then drive home? Try to implement these tips to make the trek home a bit more manageable.
- Take a nap before you drive. A nap only needs to take 5-25 minutes. This allows your body to rest without entering a really deep sleep (REM sleep). Taking this short nap will help you feel refreshed enough to make that hour long drive home.
- Eat healthy before you drive. Grabbing a quick energy shot or power bar may seem a whole lot easier than packing away some produce or grains, but your body will thank you for the extra effort. The fat, sugar and salt that come with energy products will only last you a little while and make you feel even worse after you come down from the “sugar high.” Having a snack with a good amount of complex carbs or protein will give your body more stamina for less.
- Listen to music or an audio book. Everyone knows that blasting the radio with upbeat music is a great way to keep your attention. While this is generally a good way to stay awake, it does have its downsides. Listening to that same pop song on the radio over and over can wear on you, so put in a book on tape and let someone read to you. You can stay focused on the story and even learn something!
- Talk while driving. If you’re driving home from Awake-A-Thon, chances are you have a few DeMolays in your car. While they all may want to sleep, one or two of them will surly agree to stay awake with you for the safety of the group.
- Drink water over coffee. I know what you’re thinking: are you crazy? While the answer to that question is irrelevant, water will do you a world of good over coffee. Dehydration is a major factor in fatigue, and since coffee is a diuretic, it will dehydrate you while it sends short-lived caffeine into your system. If you keep the water flowing, then your body will stay hydrated and alert much longer than coffee will.
Awake-A-Thon is a one of a kind event. Make sure you stay awake and focused from beginning to end… and then the car ride home.